Concentrate On Losing Fat First
This is best accomplished, in my opinion, by following a diet that is composed of 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% fats. This ratio works very well for most people except for hardgainers who have such a fast metabolism that they need more carbs and fats.
Carbs should come mainly from complex slow releasing sources such as oatmeal, grits, brown rice and sweet potatoes, in combination with fibrous sources such as green beans and broccoli. Proteins should come mainly from chicken, turkey, tuna, turkey, salmon and lean red meats.
Since the focus is on reducing body fat, dairy products and fruits need to be eliminated at this time, not because they are not healthy but due to the fact that the type of simple carbs contained in these foods may slow down fat loss. Finally, you need some fats and these should come on the form of fish oils, flaxseed oil or extra virgin canned olive oil.
Note: Please refer to the sample diets below.
As far as the amounts of nutrients required to lose fat, a good starting point is 1-1.2 gram of protein per pound of lean (fat free) bodyweight, 1-1.2 gram of carbs per pound of lean bodyweight, and 2-3 tablespoons of good fats per day for men and 1-1.5 for women.
Baseline Sample Fat Loss Diet For Men
Note: If you want to turn this diet into a gaining diet, then add food to the diet below as prescribed in the instructions of the following section.
Modifications For Hardgainers: For Hardgainers, the servings of carbohydrates should be doubled (so for instance, Meal 1 would contain 2 cups of oatmeal).
Meal 2 (9 AM):
- Meal replacement (I personally like Prolab's Lean Mass Complex, which already has a 40/40/20 nutrient ratio) mixed with water or a whey protein powder (with around 40 grams of protein) mixed with 40 grams of carbs from cream of rice, grits, or oatmeal.
- 1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil (I like Spectrum brand) or Fish Oils (I like Carlsons)
Meal 3 (12 Noon):
- 1 cup of brown rice, or medium sized baked potato, or 1 cup of oatmeal
- 2 cups of green beans, broccoli or any other desired vegetable
- 6-8 ounces of chicken, turkey, or lean fish
Meal 5 (6 PM):
- 6-8 ounces of chicken, turkey or lean fish